View Single Post
Old 07-23-2020, 02:07 AM
Michael
Michae! Sh@cter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
Have you seen Game Worn by Wong and Grob? Its a great book. I collected some game used items in the 80s. I don't have much of it left, maybe 10 pieces. I was afraid I was venturing into deep waters and did not know how to even swim and avoid the sharks. Pre Google, around 1989, I traded a game worn 1987 Larussa and Glenn Davis rainbow jersey for a 1983 powder blue expos Gary Carter. Later I searched the internet for a photo match. I never found one. The more I looked at the jersey the more I became convinced that I had been swindled. Although the tagging looked correct the name font and number were different than any of the thousands of photos I saw on the internet. Disgusted with myself, I put the jersey in a bag and threw it in the closet. Then about three years ago I was cleaning said closet and found it once again. I threw it in the trash bin. Then I retrieved it. I decided to keep it as a painful reminder to stay in my own lane. Shortly thereafter I found two game used jerseys sold by Heritage that had Carter LOAs. Both matched my jersey exactly. Of course I was relieved that I rescued it from the trash. Nonetheless, I remain cautious when viewing such items. It seems that for the uninitiated game used stuff floats in deep murky waters. I long ago decided that there be dragons there and I needed to stay away unless there was impeccable provenance.

There used to be a site called game used universe? The folks at Grey Flannel auctions and Mears were helpful as well.
No, I will look for that book thank you. And I am sure everyone will love the story, thanks for sharing and I am also glad you dug it out of the garbage. I have a box of items I really don't believe are legit but never threw it out for fear that one item might be good. When I dig it out I will be more diligent of looking into the items.

I will look up that site as well, but I had a few people on here saying that Grey Flannel was a bit suspicious or something along those lines, don't remember details though. They have a lot of game-used items in their auctions, some have some providence or credentials but many just say: 'This jersey is properly tagged, was presented to us as game-used and in our opinion shows appropriate use.'

If I heard on here enough they were as trustworthy as REA or Heritage, I probably would have bid on more items in their auction tonight.