View Single Post
Old 07-23-2020, 12:34 AM
Mikeknapp

Have you seen Game Worn by Wong and Grob? Its a great book. I collected some game used items in the 80s. I don't have much of it left, maybe 10 pieces. I was afraid I was venturing into deep waters and did not know how to even swim and avoid the sharks. Pre Google, around 1989, I traded a game worn 1987 Larussa and Glenn Davis rainbow jersey for a 1983 powder blue expos Gary Carter. Later I searched the internet for a photo match. I never found one. The more I looked at the jersey the more I became convinced that I had been swindled. Although the tagging looked correct the name font and number were different than any of the thousands of photos I saw on the internet. Disgusted with myself, I put the jersey in a bag and threw it in the closet. Then about three years ago I was cleaning said closet and found it once again. I threw it in the trash bin. Then I retrieved it. I decided to keep it as a painful reminder to stay in my own lane. Shortly thereafter I found two game used jerseys sold by Heritage that had Carter LOAs. Both matched my jersey exactly. Of course I was relieved that I rescued it from the trash. Nonetheless, I remain cautious when viewing such items. It seems that for the uninitiated game used stuff floats in deep murky waters. I long ago decided that there be dragons there and I needed to stay away unless there was impeccable provenance.

There used to be a site called game used universe? The folks at Grey Flannel auctions and Mears were helpful as well.

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)

Last edited by 71buc; 07-23-2020 at 12:36 AM.