View Single Post
Old 05-20-2013, 10:00 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone91 View Post
The 52 Topps Mantle is like Detective comics # 27 the 1st appearance of Batman and the Babe Ruth is like Action comics # 1 the 1st appearance of Superman people will never forget those like they will never forget these 2 baseball players.

There is NO way Barry Bonds with 762 homers will EVER be collected like Ruth or Mantle same goes for Hank Aaron....much less people talk about Aaron than Mantle even if Aaron was a much better player...that is why true legends will always be popular and collected.

Post # 5
While some of that is true, the reason is a bit off in my opinion.

Ruth is by far the best hitter of his era, and barring injury from overwork (which was likely at the time) would probably have been one of the best pitchers. There aren't many players witht that sort of all around combination.

Mantle was certainly among the best of his era, but not a clear #1. Yes, he fought off a bunch of injuries, but so have other players who aren't regarded as highly. I think a lot of the Mantle thing is that he played in New York, through an era when the other two NY teams lost some fan base and moved west. Mays would probably be thought of the same way had the Giants stayed in NY.

Aaron was a generally quiet guy playing for a team in a far less media intensive market. And while he didn't put up insanely flashy numbers in any one season (For the era) He did perform at a very high level for a long time. 17 straight years in the top 10 in the league for HR. Some of what he accomplished won't happen again anytime soon. More players are either driven out because they become too expensive, or simply leave because they have enough money and aren't willing to play through a few years of chronic injury. Or a combination of both.

I'd have to agree about Bonds though. He was a great player, but was far too abrasive compared to players during the same time. I think he might have broken the career HR record without steroids, just a year or two later (Or three depending on how he aged) But a bad attitude in a small media market just doesn't lead anywhere good.

Steve B