View Single Post
Old 05-06-2022, 11:34 AM
Drew

Default 1972 Topps question

Posting this in the correct section this time... *facepalm*

Does anyone know the release dates of each series of the 1972 Topps set?

One of my (way too many) autograph projects is getting the 1972 set signed. With the fact there are something like three Clementes, four Aarons, two Munsons, and plenty more toughies I know it'll never get finished. But I currently have 475 cards completely finished, 493 with at least one signature, and 523 total signatures. This count includes an umpire active in 1972 on each checklist, and either a coach, a player without a card, or another organizational figure (owner, broadcaster, organ player, etc.) on each team card.

I am mostly wondering about the release date of 4th series, which of course carried the late Gil Hodges. His O-Pee-Chee card lists his death date, but I am wondering whether or not his Topps card came out while he was still living or not.

Even if he was alive, I'd think there wouldn't be many/any out there signed; although there are 1987 Topps Dick Howser sigs out there despite him being at Spring Training for only four days so depending on the release date it's possible. I've seen a few "signed" 1972 Hodges cards out there but I'm clearly skeptical of their authenticity.

It's just something that has been nagging at me for a while-- COULD there be a signed 1972 Topps Hodges out there, or did the 4th series come out after his death?