View Single Post
Old 02-27-2007, 04:20 PM
Administrator

Default ramblin on / insurance/ card values

Posted By: Joann

OK - just to clarify on use tax.

In Michigan, if you purchased any item for > $1000 from out of state, you have to pay 6%.

HOWEVER, if you did not purchase any single item for more than > $1000 you can either pay 6% of actual, OR use a Michigan Use Tax table that sets a flat amount based on your AGI. This is kind of considered the 'max', because the presumption is that if you had receipts for all purchases you could probably pay less than what the AGI Table value is. That's what I meant by max use tax, and Michigan does allow it.

I don't think it's less, but it is allowed so long as no item was over $1000. I think, actually, that most people pay zero. In past tax years I have never had a single item >$1000, so I pay the AGI amount ($44) just to be on the safe side. Anyone that knows me thinks I am crazy for doing it, but I do it anyways.

This year I will have to pay more because a few auction purchases have exceeded $1000. So I'll pay 6% of that PLUS the max AGI amount. It doesn't pay to get cross purposes with the IRS for $44.

And Frank, I see your point about not insuring as a way of not broadcasting your ownership of individual items. It's well made, and if someone wants to take the risk on card loss it makes sense. With a safe deposit box I think that risk is negligible. And I agree that this might be good practice that does not necessarily imply an intent to break the law at some point.

Joann