View Single Post
Old 01-05-2024, 09:29 PM
Elliot

Default graded cards - pro or con

I personally liked raw cards and that's all I ever collected. However the sad fact is buyers pay a decent premium for a graded card. Since a majority of cards are bought on the internet, graded cards become important because you cant hold and see them in person PLUS sellers can color enhance cards. Now I would NEVER buy pre-war cards or strips ungraded - they are counterfeited often and there are WAY more variations compared to 60s Topps cards and inserts. Also with pre-war cards, especially strips, they are often flimsy and tobacco cards can be brittle so having them encased protects them. They are so expensive - encasing them works for me.

Now my biggest gripe of them all is the inconsistency of all grading companies - furthermore compare, PSA and SGC. Take the same card that would grade ex/mt but has a modest mark on the back. PSA would grade it Ex/Mt 6 (MK) while SGC would grade the card Vg/Ex+ 4.5.... My last gripe especially with pre-war strips - a card graded A could be a pitiful looking card OR a card that was cut a millimeter short but has amazing eye appeal. Same goes for Poor 1 - I have seen cards graded 1 that look pretty good but a modest crease or 2 and some paper loss with rounded corners and others that are hard to look at without cringing. Expand the lower grades - Do we need 5 grades with the word mint in it. Ex/Mt 6 to Gem Mt 10 -

MY VENTING IS OVER -

Last edited by ANOMALY; 01-05-2024 at 09:35 PM.