View Single Post
Old 12-04-2014, 11:46 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
I've been out of the hobby for about 20 years. The last thing that I was working on was a T205 set. I pulled out my cards recently and realized I was 44 cards short of the 208 (210 since I had both Crandall and Dougherty) card set. A friend challenged me to complete the set. I have 60+ cards that are EX or better (most Ex-Mt/NM). The rest are mostly VG/VG-EX with a few worse.

My frustration was being able to find cards in nice condition and then prices skyrocketed and I eventually gave up. I know there are some serious T205 collectors on here, so I'm looking for some advice. I need to decide what condition of cards to go after. What is a good price guide to use? Is SMR accurate or should I sign up for VCP? Where would you recommend looking for cards? Post a want list here? Ebay? Auction Houses? Would I have much luck at the National?
If you don't mind the lower technical grades you might go for vg'ish with great eye appeal. Find ones that look EX+ with that nasty hairline wrinkle that can only be seen through an electron microscope but keeps the grade down. As far as where to go and how to proceed it sounds like you have a good idea. Do everything you said and have fun. Since I live and breathe this, and the esoteric stuff I collect doesn't show up on VCP most times, I don't use it. Others can opine on that ....Just have fun .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pt205errors6x.jpg (76.8 KB, 164 views)

Last edited by Leon; 12-04-2014 at 02:37 PM. Reason: added scan