View Single Post
Old 03-15-2024, 05:45 PM
J@mes In.gram

Default US Navy CPO Bob Feller

I've heard people say he could be difficult also. For me, nothing could be further from the truth. When I was aboard USS Independence CV-62 in 1992, before we trans-Pac'ed (crossed the Pacific) from San Diego to Yokosuka, Japan, our new home port, the ship was visited by several of the "MCI Ambassadors of Baseball", Bert Campaneris, Graig Nettles, Johnny Vander Meer, and Bob Feller. They met with the officers in the wardroom for a while, then came to the aft mess decks, where tables were set up, and you could meet/greet with these fellows. Being old school, I got in line for first, Johnny Vander Meer, who signed a color post card of him in his Reds uniform. Such a nice man. He talked probably 5 minutes with everyone who he met with. Then, Bob Feller, the Van Meter Heater himself. He also spoke at length with all of us swabbies, asking how we liked the Navy, how things were going, etc. He signed and gave me an MCI basebal card with him in his Navy CPO uniform from World War 2 and in his Cleveland Indians uniform. Just another super nice man. Bob Feller didn't join the Navy just to sit comfortably behind the lines playing ball. He was also a Gunner's Mate on board the battleship USS Alabama BB-60, earning 8 battle stars in combat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CPO Bob Feller.jpg (124.3 KB, 149 views)

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***

Last edited by jingram058; 03-16-2024 at 12:58 AM.