View Single Post
Old 05-28-2021, 07:46 AM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

Quote:
Originally Posted by YazFenway08 View Post
My first ever "pick-up" post.

These cards were, literally, the ones that got me interested in vintage cards back in 1983. I was visiting a dear family friend with my parents...the adults were doing their adult things and I was sitting on a porch ripping into some '83 topps packs, watching the Braves play on TV. The friend saw what I was doing, and went to retrieve his childhood collection to share...we talked for what seemed like hours about the players, baseball and his fandom of Heine Manush. He was a super cool guy...WW2 vet, Ohio State track guy...just a good dude
I was hooked...

Fast forward almost 40 years. I re-connected with this gentlemen's daughter after finding a birthday card he had sent me years ago with a '33 Goudey Jesse Haines inside. All of our parent's recently passed, we were catching up and baseball came up...and I asked whatever happened to that wonderful collection.

Long story short, I was honored to be able to add these cards to my and my dad's collection.

The Ruth has a couple of creases, but overall pretty nice in hand. Certainly not high grade, but presentable. All of the Diamond Stars are actually very nice...again, not high grade but no creases, just corners and surface wear. The '33 Foxx, Bengough and Grove are pretty rough...but "intact" and look look just like I remember them. I had even saved the piece of paper where I had "catalogued" these back in '83.

sorry for the ramble...I love this site and have enjoyed talking with some of you
hope y'all have a great Memorial Day...I'll be watching baseball, looking at these cards...and I think i have a couple of old '83 topps packs to rip into

Mike
I love that story! So cool