View Single Post
Old 11-16-2005, 10:46 AM
Administrator

Default Postal Insurance question

Posted By: ramram

I know these questions keep coming up regularly but....

I went to mail an item today at the Post Office. I was mailing a vintage baseball image and wanted $200 insurance on it. The lady asked what was in it and then said unless it was shipped registered, the Post Office wouldn't cover it if something happened. I said "so all of these items I've been shipping over the years and paying insurance for would not of even been covered?". She said for items like old photos and cards the Postal insurance won't cover losses. They don't make it a practice of asking what is in the item being shipped (other than if it is fragile, liquid, perishable or potentially hazardous) and just accepts your money, but, if something happens it is not a covered item. In other words, they will gladly take your insurance money but will not cover the item if something happens (unless shipped registered mail...which is more costly, slow and a pain in the butt the way you have to wrap it up).

Do we have any Postal employees on the board that can enlighten me? What about UPS's policy? I know we have somebody on the board from UPS.

Rob M.