View Single Post
Old 09-30-2020, 05:35 PM
Michael Fried

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
Hi Michael, definitely it would be great to get a photo representation of all the 1933-36 Zeenut with coupons. I am not a Zeenut coupon collector myself, and only have one Zeenut with coupon throughout the years. My cards were typically in the hands of coupon greedy kids who tore the bottom half of the card off to remove the coupon.

As far as the Woodall throwing card is concerned, I think Horne was correct. Below I have included a scan of a printed off scan of both Woodall throwing cards, April 1st 1935 and April 1st 1936. I measured both, and the earlier one does measure about 1/32" larger, from the top of Woodall's cap to bottom of his shoe. Perhaps you have a (within the) year variation, which as far as I know until now has not shown up in the 1933-36 set. For example, if a couponed card is a smaller picture in one year, another size for that year has not been found It would be nice to see your two Woodall cards in comparison.

Brian
Brian,

I glad you raised the question (actually several questions), because we all need to decide what to call the different varieties besides by date of issue. There are many variations besides the "poses." For "poses," I have been distinguishing the cards by whether the entire picture is more cropped than its comparator, and calling the one with more cropping the "large" size, and the other one that shows more picture the "small" one.

That brings us to another issue to resolve. We do not have the measurement of the central figure for most scans and can only make comparative sizing by making the images of the cards the same height and aligning the coupon
bars.

There's no doubt from your measurements that the Woodall image is larger in the 1935 card. From the scans below, 1935 card shows more image than the slightly more cropped 1936 one. Even though the 1936 card you pictured has a little more of the right side showing, it seems the 1935 still has a slight bit more. How do you suggest we address this? It's going to come up with lots of cards.

The end card (1935) in the first row is the same as the first card in the second row. You'll notice that 1935 card has part of the next card on the sheet printed on its right, indicating the end of the card image. While we don't yet have a piece of the next card for the 1936 one, it seems that extrapolation of the images we have indicates the 1936 card has less of the far right part of the original image than the 1935.

As to in year variations, I often think I've found one, especially when looking at small scans of large lots being offered at auction. After a long and careful examination, it never turns out to be one. It's usually just a fuzzy image of an expiration date so that on first glance a "5" looks like a "6" or visa verca.

Mike

Last edited by abctoo; 09-30-2020 at 05:37 PM.