View Single Post
Old 09-17-2022, 04:13 PM
Charles Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
It's funny, Morgan hated advanced metrics, even though they loved him. Had the courage of his convictions anyway!
So true. Joe Morgan the player had an incredible on base percentage, leading the league in 4 out 5 years between 1972 and 176 (he finished 2nd in 1973). But as announcer, he discredited the concept of OBP being an important factor in winning games. He just didn't like advanced metrics, like you said.

He was one of most balanced players--he did everything well--he stole more bases in his era than anyone not named Lou Brock, and stole at a higher % thank Brock, he hit for average, good power for a 2nd basemen, walked a ton, struck out relatively infrequently, all while fielding decently at 2nd base.

Clemente has been my favorite player since I was a child. And despite the fact that I loathed Joe Morgan as a broadcaster, I'd give him the slight nod over Clemente as a player. However, if Clemente had continued his solid play for a few more years into the mid to late 70's he could have leapfrogged Morgan.