Thread: Beckett Grading
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2010, 09:12 AM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

Default Yes, I have a $50.00 problem

I haven't had a problem with Beckett (BVG) until recently, not that there are many pre-war BVG cards to choose from.

My issue can be found in the thread, "Opinions: Fro-Joy Premium," which was started on 12-16-10.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=130892

Beckett concluded my Fro-Joy premium was counterfeit, but when I sent them an e-mail after receiving the card back, I received a reply from them in which they stated the card was altered (The depressed area found on Fro-Joy premiums was removed, causing the card to measure short). In the package from Beckett, they included a little card with "questionable authenticity" checked, but the section of their little card denoting altered cards wasn't checked. They also didn't comment on their reason for concluding such on the little line next to the counterfeit check box, which is what the little line is there for. For nearly $50.00, Beckett should have written something on that little line.

Knowing SGC and PSA are the two most respected pre-war card graders, Beckett suggested I send the card to them, adding they would state the card was altered. Beckett said SGC and PSA refer to altered cards as "questionable authenticity." But that's not true, SGC and PSA refer to altered cards as "altered, trimmed, etc." SGC and PSA refer to counterfeits as "questionable authenticity." Beckett back-tracked by stating when they labeled their little card "questionable authenticity," they really meant "altered." Also, Beckett is aware of SGC and PSA's respective policies to not grade Fro-Joy, which is due to the Fro-Joy cards, not the Fro-Joy premium.

We make mistakes; people make mistakes. Beckett made a mistake, and that's usually fine. However, the BECKETT is actually keeping my money for this half service.

If I ever stumble across my 1995 Topps in the attic.........no, they're not handling my cards.

Edited to say that subsequent to this my opinion changed following further research. Respected collectors vouched for Beckett and provided reasons for doing so. Meanwhile, I purchased this:
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Clutch-Hitter; 01-09-2011 at 07:33 AM. Reason: silly, inaccurate comment removed