Thread: Latest Pickups
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2022, 04:17 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Got a book this week from the BST. Had never heard of it before.

One of my lanes of interest has been figuring what was known when about the T cards. I've found little to no checklists even from before the time I entered boxing card land in ~2003, so for $20 I thought this might be interesting material.

Some of it is woefully inaccurate or just incomplete. The T218 series are nowhere even close to accurate (but then again I don't think any source has been close to correct besides Vrechek's article), and the writer did not know Tolstoi backs exist at all. It's interesting to see what cards just weren't known then. T224/T226/C52 note that their checklists are not complete and are reporting what has been seen, and labels 50 cards for T224-9. For T220 it says Coburn with and without a man to left exists in both white and silver, it reports the T220 Silver Jack Goodman fantasy while missing the Donovan (of course) and Jas. J. Corbett (when was this card first known? It's public knowledge predates the Donovan of 2006). Other parts are surprisingly on point. T219 has all 4 backs listed, by far the earliest reference to the Green backs (guess I didn't figure that out and to Red Cross being physically smaller than the other 3 (guess I didn't figure that out either . Lots of good stuff about the British issues. Been a fun read for a few bucks with some insights into the historiography.

Also got a 23 card set of VG-EX T220 Silver's, 5 of them turned out to be upgrades.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1303.jpg (200.5 KB, 244 views)