Thread: Latest Pickups
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2021, 10:04 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
Very nice batch of boxing in this week. Thank you to the member and new friend who gave me his Johnson at a fair price. Has a crease down the middle, I'd call it Good, but Turkey Red's tends to look great in low grade with those fat borders that eat up the wear and keep it away from the large, gorgeous lithographs. Maybe I'm weird, but I really like the backdrop of Johnson and Langford's cards, in front of a farmhouse rather than the indoor ring the other cards use. Johnson and Langford looks more like a blowup type 1 T220, the rest of the cards blown up T218's.

Coulon was the Bantamweight champion of the world when his T9 was issued, and a prominent trainer for decades after his boxing career. He maintained his tiny weight in his retirement and was evidently well-known, judging from the newspapers, for being able to prevent men who doubled or tripled his weight from picking him up. He and Johnson were good friends, and Coulon was one of Jack's pallbearers.

Puts me at 16/26 of the common cards with the text on back.

The Delmont and Kaufman are Miners Extra backed T219's, cards 46 and 47 in my Miners Extra set. 3 commons to go.

Packey McFarland's T225 is for my master set, like 96 cards into the 250 run. He was a fine lightweight with a possibly record undefeated streak.

The Willie Hoppe isn't a boxing card, but as T218's are centered here it seems okay to include. Back is miscut showing that the card to the right of Hoppe (Playing) on the sheet was also Hoppe (Playing). This matches with Adam's Summers miscut in T218-3, and the sheet pattern of the T220-1's.

The Mayo's are Austin Gibbons and Joe Walcott, I've started to do the set in both name at top and name at bottom variety. I don't know squat about Gibbons really, Walcott was of course a fine champion.

The Lorillard's Elliott is a type card, and in horrific condition. But I like cards in horrific condition and one can't be picky on these, tough set.

Nice haul. Never hurts to pick up a Hoppe. He's basically the Babe Ruth/Ty Cobb of his sport. There was also a boxer with the same name, active around the same time. Most famous for getting most of his hands blown up in an explosives accident, and still being a fairly successful boxer. Don't think he ever got on a card though.