View Single Post
Old 01-27-2022, 02:40 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
All true. One of my all-time mantras has always been:

Tax evasion is a crime, but tax avoidance is your Constitutional and God given right! Amen.

As for the comments about the importance of expenses, that is also very true. But the exact types and amount of expenses you end up deducting can vary greatly depending on whether or not you file your tax return and report the sale of your cards as a dealer, as an investor, or as just a pure hobby collector. Can actually make a big difference.
Yes, I fully agree, that is why I said I was oversimplifying it. If you can get in the mindset of paying attention to the costs and expenses your are much more prepared when you do have to file. I first experienced the approach working as a freelance legal researcher travelling to multiple courthouses around Mass. When I was selling on ebay I was a full time salaried employee of a large corporation, but I was prepared to note the said costs and expenses and it went very smoothly. My accountant who has done my taxes for 33 years said I was doing it properly. LIke you, I am also old school. Rather than an accounting program I wrote everything down in a notebook and totalled each page as I finished it. My selling paid for a destination wedding and two week honeymoon in Australia among other things.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”