View Single Post
Old 03-19-2023, 12:55 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieBaseball View Post
Is there any other Tobacco Card made or distributed that has Fat Borders besides T211 & T210, in particular Series 8, which mirrors Red Suns ? I find it interesting that T210 Series 6, 1, or 2 for example don't have any Fat Border cards. I think there may be a few Series 3 Fat Borders (will have to dig in and check), which is interesting as they were Southern Texas Leaguers and bordered the Southern Association League/cards. Perhaps this might tell us they were made somewhere different? (T211 & T210-8 Fat Borders...) Just a random thought... Great Thread, discovery info btw
Sot of. There's not another set in the standard small T size from the ATC that has borders like this (that I can think of). There are other thick border sets, but they are larger size cards. T220, for example, has some pretty thick borders in its design. T60 Red Cross is an enlarged release of half of T59 that adds its extra dimension from its thick borders.

In addition to its strong connections to T210, Red Suns are closely related to T218 and T225. Many of its images were used in those in art form, and most of its checklist signed their contracts for those sets initially, based on the Hyland letter. Some of the boxers were not included in any other ATC set. It is not provable or certain, but I would suspect T226 were printed at Brett who had the contract releases. T211 weren't necessarily printed at the same location.

It is interesting the pugilists have a larger image and thinner border than the base ball players. It may just be because the T211's are a copy/paste effort with a different back and border color and the T226's had to be fully designed. You would think "Red Sun" would maintain the red borders of T210 from a marketing angle.

Sereis 2 of T210 has thick border cards. I'm not a T210 guy but one of my handful of type cards is this series 2 card of Wallace with the thick borders. It measures about the same as my thin border types; there is just less image and more border space on this one than my series 3 type.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0441.jpg (184.2 KB, 275 views)