View Single Post
Old 11-24-2011, 04:16 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by prewarsports View Post
Regardless of whether we are talking print or photo (this would obviously be a print) it is not authentic, you can tell by the paper and the crazing in the black portions and the fact that the photo is not very crisp. 1942 was during WW2 and paper was scarce, but technology was good. I doubt that they would have made a "print" of a Negro League team at this time period where paper was in such short supply that they were having scrap paper drives on every street corner. 99.9% sure by sight alone this is not authentic to the period add in the WW2 factor and with Phil's assesment I would say we are pretty certain here.
I'm sure it's not authentic, because the original poster (the only one who has held the piece) says so.

I'm surprised that every print you've seen from the '40s was crisp and made using the best technology available - I've seen plenty of cheap-looking items, some much cheaper-looking than this, that were period.

But if everything you've seen was made using the best technology available (and you've never seen any 1940's supplements or premiums), then I completely understand why you are 99% sure that this is not period.