View Single Post
Old 04-15-2009, 07:19 AM
Administrator

Default the new board is being scrapped for the time being

Posted By: leon

This wasn't meant to be a pity party for me though I appreciate the kind words thrown my way and the way of the other guys who helped so much. Others above said it was each members right to voice an opinion. Of course that is 100% correct. This board is nothing without the members. I didn't see anyone saying they hated me for trying or hated me for the new site. They were merely giving their opinions and that was (it really was) appreciated. How can I or the other mods know if you don't say? The same questions over and over got a little tiring but it wasn't the end of the world. I tried and said repeatedly the slowness WAS a show stopper for me and in the end it was a self fulfilling prophecy. For the record Yahoo had over 350,000 domains on our server that hosted our new site. That's right the new board shared a server with over 350,000 sites(domains). That was the problem. I don't think it was ever going to work so maybe it was for the best that it cratered (sour grapes?) sooner than later. I certainly could not have lived day to day with the slowness nor did I expect anyone else to. It was interesting to see almost 700 members sign up in 2-3 days. That was indeed quite a few!! I will be a bit smarter the next time around. We will probably stay with that software and find a much less used host which will cure the speed issue. My apologies if I blew a gasket but it was either sort of funny (how serious is this in life, really?) or really frustrating. The latter was a reality for me for yesterday...

One other thing so there is no misunderstanding. I do get compensated through the banner ads as well as Brian M gets a bit for his help. That total is probably about 25k-28k a yr and then I have about 6k-9k of expenses, per yr. I also spent about 20% of that (myself) on the Net54 National dinner last year. The funds have certainly helped in that endeavor. All together it works out to about a buck twenty two an hour but it is still something and I don't want folks to think differently. It also helps fund some of my card purchases and is appreciated.

Today is a new day and the sun came up. Lets talk some vintage cards guys and girls......Ya'll are good folk!!

edited gramma