View Single Post
Old 02-03-2022, 12:57 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
Also realize that your photos appear to be commercial items-- via catalog or whatever. Most commercial baseball photos are type III. N172 Old Judges, Gypsie Queens, T200 Fatimas, etc.

So for commercial items, advertising baseball photo postcards, and photographic trading cards and premiums, being type III is the norm. By the same token that Topps cards are lithographic copies of photos, and the 1952 and 53 Topps aren't original paintings but litho copies of paintings
David,

My response in the other thread.

These were not limited to baseball. There were also Olympians - Bob Mathias and Barney Ewell come to mind. I believe there were also some made for football players. You are incorrect in calling them autographs. It is the athletes name printed in a readable cursive/script style. Most of them were mass produced photos for sale to the public. I believe you could purchase them from the back of Sporting News and other publications. Yes, they were originally printed around the period that the photos were taken however, I have seen newer versions of these probably/possibly printed in the 1970's or 1980's. Without feeling the paper it is impossible to tell. I had, at one time, a copy of the Ewell photo autographed by him. It was this style but probably a later reprint.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”