View Single Post
Old 02-01-2022, 09:57 AM
John

Default Photograph Authentication: Am I right or Wrong?

Question on Photograph Authentication Services. Type or classifications 1,2,3,4. from PSA. How is this for confusion? I have over 100 baseball photos, that I have been told are type 3, and there is not much value in them because most people want Type 1. Ok, this is not about the value, but one day who knows. Now for sure, the photos are from the 1940s 1950s. The images are the 1940S on most. See my post 1/28/2022...vintage baseball photographs, for info on photos. Stay with me, Type 3 because my photos have what is called, facsimile signature or name on them.
Type 3 are a 2nd generation photograph developed from a duplicate negative. Again a duplicate negative, and not the subject, not the photo but a second negative. Why, do I say this...for my photos they would take the subject, the picture of the ballplayer, and add the name to the photo take a new picture of it thereby creating a second negative. Notice the new picture are not from a duplicate negative, but an original. By the way, all duplicate negatives are of inferior quality to the original, this is why Type 3 is of lesser value.
Type one versions are 1st generation photos, developed from an original negative within two years of the subject on the photo. So I then can say my photos are type1. Because they are a first-generation negative, not a duplicate negative. It does not matter that it was a picture of a picture, as so as you take a new picture and print it out with the original negative within two years, it then becomes a Type 1 ... Am I wrong or Right? Thanks, John.