View Single Post
Old 02-15-2022, 01:26 PM
J@E R1T0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Don't send to Beckett: they see stuff that isn't there too. I brought them a Clemente RC at the AC National that had provenance traceable all the way back to the original owner. He sold his childhood collection to a friend (as solid a hobbyist as there is) who had it for decades and then sold the card to me. I was getting a modern card done at Beckett so I figured WTF and gave them the 1950s Topps card since I didn't feel like standing in a second line. They rejected it and when I asked why they said it had been soaked, pressed and laser-trimmed. Really? To generate a good condition card with terrible centering?? I took it to SGC and they slabbed it correctly.

Valid point. I guess that's why many of us feel relieved to get our vintage cards back with grades on them, even if we don't like the grade! Its a real crap shoot, but grading has raised the prices of nice cards in the hobby and has prevented a lot (not all) of the scamming. I swear off grading regularly but always go back!

Love the late 1800’s Boston Beaneaters and the early Boston Red Sox (1903-1918)!

Also collecting any and all basketball memorabilia.