View Single Post
Old 10-18-2004, 10:50 PM
Administrator

Default Negro League Cards???

Posted By: Paul

The Cuban cards were created mostly for the Cuban leagues, occassionally for the US major leagues, once for a US minor league in Florida, but never for the US Negro Leagues. The Puerto Rican cards were create for the Puerto Rican League. The "Negro League" cards are actually Cuban League and Puerto Rican League cards. Negro Leaguers commonly played in both these leagues and as a result have cards in those sets. One player is shown in his Negro League uniform -- Don Newcombe, but he is listed as a member of a Cuban team.

I'm not real familiar with the Dominican and Mexican cards, but suspect the same is true with those cards.

As far as anyone knows, there are no US cards of Negro League players (except the Puerto Rican cards, since Puerto Rico is part of the US). There's one possible exception. About 3 or 4 years ago, there was a card of HOFer John Henry Lloyd on ebay. It was long and skinny, like the Canadian Willards Champions cards of Ruth, Cobb, and Collins. It was blank backed. No one knew anything about its origins. I bid on the card and lost. I believe Hal Lewis also bid on the card. I can't remember if he won or lost.