View Single Post
Old 04-17-2021, 01:15 PM
Dan=iel Enri.ght

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAllen2556 View Post

So politics and sports have always been intertwined. But when people hired to comment on sports like Jamele Hill and others branch away from sports commentary and into presidential politics, it risks alienating their audience - which has absolutely occurred at ESPN. And they make no attempt to offer opposing views - ever. Sorry, but that is not what I watch ESPN for.

She doesn't work there any longer because she was unwilling to stop potting the president openly. Others have similarly left because they were asked to tone down their political speak on air and couldn't control those impulses.
There is a difference between individuals pushing an agenda against an individual, and a generalized agenda that opposes racism in sport.

Second bolded is untrue. There have been a number of conservative voices on ESPN, including most recently Will Cain.
He chose to leave, he was not asked to, nor was he asked to stop sharing his opinions.
You might think you know the political leanings of ALL the ESPN hosts and commentators, but you don't.
There are a number, including black commentators, who lean conservative on many issues and would identify with that brand of politics such as it existed pre Trump.
The movement that brought Trump to power, including the Tea party and others, have promoted a White centric view of the world and attempted to minimize Black voices re their experiences.
That movement and the leadership of Trump, including his regular tweeting that black sportsmen should not involve themselves in politics, has resulted in a broad sweeping line from ESPN that opposes this viewpoint.

And you imply that this point of view is racist.

"I love that those who are confounded by dealing with the fact their own political and social agendas are no longer acceptable cannot keep their mouths closed about it."

Agree with me or your a racist. I'm so tired of this childish and intellectually lazy point of view. The fact that I don't want to listen to idiot sports commentators drone on about presidential politics doesn't mean I'm a racist.

There is no other view than that of the people who are telling you they are being treated in a racist manner. They are the expert, not you. The 'stupid' commentators who give platform to those views understand this.
You don't.
That's ok, you are free to exercise your viewing choices.
You are not free to tell ESPN or black athletes or their supporters they cannot do more than shoot and dribble.
I don't know what's in your heart, but I know mine.
It costs me nothing, absolutely nothing to want others to feel better about themselves and support them in that endeavor.
It doesn't offend me, doesn't take anything from me, for others to be treated better.
Sad that it seemingly costs others their mental freedom when people are chasing that dream.

Last edited by 68Hawk; 04-17-2021 at 01:22 PM.