View Single Post
Old 11-19-2014, 09:11 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
I'm not saying Mastro or others involved with him are above anything. I just find the story strange to say the least. As Peter mentioned, what was the motive for the Ruth "swap"? Tell SGC to grade it low so you can scoop it at a low price (apparently keeping other bidders suppressed--the old anti-shill), get it re-graded and then make a profit?

An educated man then in his 40's relies on an Antique Roadshow and Antiques Trader to lead him to Mastro and apparently does little or no other research? Maybe for the old guy who doesn't know the first thing about some stash he found in the attic but this guy has been collecting since 1965, and has had a card graded seven years prior (why?). He knows of no other hobby resources? He doesn’t have the faculties to do a five or ten minute google search to better understand the market and other auction houses?

He has a Goudey Ruth and Lajoie but doesn’t want to pay $25 to have them graded --thankfully Mastro could have it done for $7, so that 's some sort of huge factor in his decision? Anyone want to show me a $39K Koufax rookie? Mastro employee Marren "examined" each of his 1500 cards--what is that a 5 hour or more process?-- but then only hurriedly scribbled a one-sentence reference on the consignment contract as to what was going to be auctioned, although there was a written "skeletal" inventory? The mysterious Mr. X "suddenly" shows up and the con is on? Really? They pressured you into not having better protection, or from giving them your own inventory for them to approve? And you're a lawyer? Sorry, IMO it just seems, um, strange. Bad cinema, actually.
Precisely my point. Just because Mastro is a crooked scumbag who should be locked up for as long as the cage is available doesn't mean he kidnapped the Lindbergh baby too. Judged on its own merits the story seems equal parts wishful and embellished, and the letter reads like an essay by a community college student who speaks English as a second language.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 11-19-2014 at 09:12 AM.