View Single Post
Old 09-25-2022, 03:05 PM
Alan Strout

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCope64 View Post
First off, you all have amazing collections and I've really enjoyed looking back through this thread. I'm of that age where Brooks Robinson was my idol growing up and he's done nothing to tarnish that image in the 48 years since I first saw him play.

But speaking of being that age, I'm at the point where it's time to let go of the past and see if there are new homes for my collection. Here's where I'm looking for help on how to make that happen. eBay is out for several reasons (fees are high both for selling and getting paid, income taxes, and what seems to be a declining collector base). Do I look for another auction house and just be done with it? Use this site and ones like to to offer individual items? In my opinion the time invested photographing, packaging, and shipping is not worth the squeeze in the end.

My collection has meant the world to me over the years, but I'm not kidding myself that what I have is super rare and will generate headlines when it hits the market.

My primary focus has been autographs. I started with a goal of collecting at least one signature from every player, coach and manager starting with the 1954 team. And, save for a few from recent years that effort is complete. In many instances I have a signed card, team issued postcard (not all in Orioles uniforms) or a 3x5 for each person. I got into collecting the Crown set, and have over 400 different signed cards. There's an assortment of team-signed balls, including one from 1954, single-signed balls, minor league affiliate team-signed baseball, signed programs, etc.

There's a complete run of signed Brooks regular-issue cards from 1957-1978. Probably 20 different Brooks store model gloves in varying conditions.

Then there's the complete runs of programs and yearbooks as well as 30 or 40 years of media guides.

Here's an example of one of my oddball programs. It's from January 1954 and contains signatures from Fritz Maisel, Eddie Robinson, Arthur Ehlers, Jack Dunn, Mike Blyzka and Bobby Young.

Again, my stuff is pretty pedestrian when compared to what I'm seeing here, but there's a ton of experience on this board, so I'm hoping to get some good ideas. Offlist replies are welcome at timcopeland64@gmail.com.
Tim,

Sorry to hear you're liquidating your Orioles collection. I'm not especially into autographs, but do collect some of the items you mentioned. If you've been following the thread, I'm into team issued postcards and photos, programs and O's minor league affiliates stuff.

My collection of those items is fairly large, but looking especially for the B&W team issued postcards from the 1954-56 range, unusual Orioles programs and minor league programs. A few newer items I need are a 1993 B&W postcard of Paul Carey, 2008-09 color postcards of Hayden Penn, 2015 postcard of Scott Coolbaugh and an Aberdeen Ironbirds program from 8/12/2016.

There are some great guys that contribute to this thread, that I'm sure would enjoy many of your items.

Scott Coolbaugh postcard I need.

Coolbaugh.jpg