View Single Post
Old 02-28-2021, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatkidfromjerrymaguire View Post
For the record, I'm still skeptical of that price for the $40K Mantle. Which is why I started this thread initially.

The bidding pattern it took (getting exponentially high early in the bidding) combined with the high price doesn't feel right.

However, I have found it interesting to read other's opinions on the desirability of that card vs the lower priced example. I don't think ANYONE is saying that they would have paid $40K for it....but clearly it is viewed as a premium value to some collectors. And as we all know it only takes two bidders that really want a card to run up a price.
I think we are all skeptical of what is going on with card prices. However, with an Authentic graded t206 Wagner selling for 2.5 million last night, a card too small to get a number grade and missing half it's back. There has to be some element of authentic sales. There are clearly new buyers with a lot of money buying up premium cards. Like you said, if two of these guys saw this card and wanted it, it could be a real sale. The 51 Bowman has taken a huge jump, so it follows that the 52 would too.