View Single Post
Old 06-17-2022, 02:28 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgjackson222 View Post
You've repeated the claim that half the country is going to be criminalized half a dozen times. Are there actually any legislative proposals that would do this?
If you ban future 18 year-olds from purchasing a semi-automatic weapon, that does not criminalize people that already own such weapons.

While I think that having a mandatory buyback of semi-automatic weapons would help make our country safer, no one is proposing this. We are not Australia--there just isn't the political will for such a measure and I think almost everyone knows it.

You are correct that no law is getting rid of most or even many of the 400 million guns in our country. And no proposed law is attempting to. No one thinks all guns are going to disappear.

I imagine you are going to come back with the slippery slope argument, that if we given an inch, anti-gun people will take a mile. But I just don't that's politically possible or even realistic to consider.
I don't agree with making a buyback mandatory. As an example, I know someone who did/does target shooting. They have an M1, military surplus going back to the 40's, that the government still makes available for civilian marksmanship programs. It was his fathers, and has had some serious work done to it that makes it far more accurate than a stock example. Duplicating that would require well over a thousand dollars. (I used it once, it made a very average rifle shooter into a slightly above average one. The benefit to a competetive shooter would be substantial)

Forcing him to sell that to the government for destruction at the pittance they would offer? No, that makes no sense at all.

Add in that a huge percentage of guns used for hunting are semi automatic, including other publicly sold M1s and you've done most gun owners a disservice, as well as providing a major setback to wildlife management.