View Single Post
Old 01-20-2020, 01:26 PM
J0hn H@rper

A lot of responses about Mays' attitude have to do with personal experiences (or with some obscure $10 k card), but it still seems to me like his hobby and baseball lore status haven't been affected by it much. There isn't a blanket everyday fan/media perception that "Mays is a surly jerk" in the way that people look at guys like Bonds or Cobb.

Plus (and I realize this is just one person's selective memory experience, but still)......when I got back into the hobby and started building a postwar vintage collection months ago, the main goal for some of its foundation was to get a different top tier HOFer for every year from '52 to '79. My focus for the cards from the 50s and 60s was around $30 to $500 ones, a range used by many collectors. Quickly learned that Mantle (big shock eh), Jackie Robinson, Mays, and, to a slightly lesser extent, Aaron seemed like the most popular and difficult to get the right card at the right price. But who was the toughest (and last card) to get the right deal that entire period? Mays.

When I finally landed a legit grade 5 '59 Mays for the very mediocre price of 55 bucks, it felt like Monty Hall had just awarded the big deal of the day.

So when it comes to the average collector and what they're looking for, the demand for Mays cards seemed like the furthest thing from a problem

Last edited by cardsagain74; 01-20-2020 at 01:29 PM.