Thread: T206 Drum Story
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2020, 06:53 PM

Default T206 Drum Story

Here's a story about the T206 Drum Herman Armbruster. Back in the late 70's and early 80's there was a card shop near my neighborhood in St. Louis. The owner and a friend closed the shop for a week or so and went on a buying trip through the tobacco states. They returned with quite an inventory. As most of you know, T206's were amazingly undervalued for a long time. I was just out of school without much cash at the time, but I had a lot of cards. The '71 Topps set in high grade was really hot at the time. I had an extra complete set and an extra partial set in really strong condition. A trade was negotiated. I picked up Mathewson, Johnson, Young, 3 Finger, Tinker, Evers, Chance, Chesbro, Merkle, Jennings, McGraw, Bender and Lajoie. These were not beaters, they were very nice. And I still had trade value coming. So I picked up one of each back that was available. That's how I acquired the Armbruster. And he sat alongside the others until a few years ago when I decided he belonged with a serious Drum collector. Bill Goodwin auctioned it and I was very pleased with the result. As far as the PSA 1 it received - you tell me. I was stunned. Perhaps the current owner can enlighten me because I was expecting a 5 for sure. Despite the ridiculous grade, it is a beautiful card with that bright red background and very nice aesthetics. And I still have my first '71 set, so not a bad deal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T206 Drum.JPG (60.1 KB, 666 views)