View Single Post
Old 11-20-2013, 01:15 PM

For Pete Ullman,

I don't remember exactly what I wrote earlier but it went something like this:

I have only one graded card in my collection so graded cards are obviously NOT my thing. However, if PSA is starting to grade pictures cut out of magazines then I think it is ridiculous and just shows how greedy they are and how they are falling (failing) in credibility.

I was under the impression that TPG companies were in existence to AUTHENTICATE actual cards. If they are/were going to authenticate (or grade) an entire complete magazine I have no problem with that. But grading a picture cut out of that magazine (not an actual insert), then that is NUTS!!!!

Does that mean I can draw a picture of Babe Ruth with a Crayon and they will grade that too? How about if I cut it in half, can I have both pieces graded?

Heck, why stop there? Why not grade reprint cards? If it doesn't stop there then can I just take a picture of or photocopy a reprint card and send it in for grading?

I think I could make a bundle if that were to happen. I could just get a T 206 Wagner reprint, scan it on my scanner, print it out, cut it out and send it in for grading.

No, my impression was that TPG's were in existence to authenticate REAL CARDS!!!! However, if they are going to grade pictures cut out of magazines or newspapers but NOT grade REAL CARDS that might be trimmed, hand cut, recolored or somehow otherwise damaged, defaced or altered then what is the purpose of TPG's?

Also, if a TPG is going to grade cut outs of magazines, WHY would any serious collector want to do business with that company? I have a T 206 Cobb bat off shoulder (as an example). Why would I want to send that card in to get graded when the same person who grades my card might also be grading a picture cut out of a magazine.

The two might have been made in the same year HOWEVER the picture might have just been cut out of the magazine last week. Why should it get graded a 9 or 10 when if I trimmed my Cobb to look better it either wouldn't get graded or get an "A" for authentic?

I think this whole thing is just nuts if it is really happening and I have to question a company that does this and people who continue to do business with that company.

David Smith

Yes, that is my real name.