View Single Post
Old 05-16-2021, 11:28 AM
Jonathan Sterling

[QUOTE=Shoeless Moe;2103536]I'm not really sure that really helps in determining the authenticity of this piece.

Of course it helps Drcy is pointing out one ( And there are many tests ) to help YOU determine if it is real. Bob F
Who collects Advertising signs, I am sure could give you many other tips for YOU to decide if it is real. And many on this thread have offered tests to help such as Black light, examining under a loop. Now I understand all of these test require knowledge of what to expect and I know from experience that some sellers of fakes are very very good at what they do. But you came on here asking for opinions.. and some gave that. But some took the time to offer direction on how to narrow down some facts about the piece. Black light bulbs work in any desk lamp and dark room. Loupes are easy to buy and inexpensive. ( But you backed off both suggestions)
Then there is reseach if this is a fake then what is the root image that gave the person developing the fake inspiration? Because successful fakes often make you think it is very close to an item or items you have seen before.
Are there others using this image on recent items (Yes).
All of these tests add up to a more informed opinion. To test ink or materials in a lab is way beyond most folks reach. But the feel of paper, examining the glue. All the things Drcy wrote about in that book. Looking up on youtube how to age paper so that it is easier to see when these techniques are used. All of these things can help You determine real from fake.
Just like you learned cards and tickets by handling them over time paper is still paper. And I know good fakes can be printed on old paper. But real items check every box as real. Items that dont I stay away from.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg item_21376_1.jpg (79.9 KB, 479 views)