View Single Post
Old 01-18-2016, 02:06 PM
Garth Guibord

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Like grading a t206 Wagner KNOWING it was trimmed?
Yes, of course shady things have happened, like the Wagner. And Mastro has said alterations on high grade cards are common (I forget the quote or numbers he used). But to this point, I don't think the "common" aspect of his allegation is proved.

But my point is not that there isn't altered cards that have been graded (or forgeries). We have all seen examples, probably as recently as today in a post on this site, of graded cards that are accompanied not only by numbers, but by suspicions. To my knowledge, any suspicious cards beyond the Gretzky Wagner have not been consciously graded as unaltered despite knowledge by the grader that it was.

Even with Mastro's allegations, the market for high grade vintage does not seem to have been impacted. It's as hot as ever.

What I would see as a death knell is more of a systematic pattern of deception by that completely undermines their process, their products, their reputation and all their preceding work. So that graded VG 1965 Topps Tigers Rookies Roman/Brubaker, along with everything else the company has done, is suddenly questionable (at best).

Funny thing with the Wagner, and probably other cards of that ilk (both in alterations and prestige), is that I've read in places that people would be just as interested in acquiring it as they were before the trimming was confirmed as it makes for a great story.