View Single Post
Old 09-24-2021, 06:49 PM
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
Actually I was all over the place as an early collector. Always focused on pre 1930’s stuff but I chased cards of early Hall of Famers cards, autographs, photo’s. But never focused on a set, or an item or type of item.

Started by seeing friends collections and then going into baseball card shops thru out Long Island and got Mostly Raw cards but got addicted to graded cards so to my lack of experience, easier to compare and determine pricing, easier to sell. Had all different Stars from all different sets. But then I wanted a Joe Jackson Rookie CARD And other rare jackson Cards. But was not liquid and missed out on them.
Sold/traded all and had my first Joe Jackson Rookie card low grade but it was my 1 and only card and I was hooked. Then I wanted 1 Ruth card earlier the better. So I got a nice 1921 e121 Ruth throwing Pose ( I believe it was an SGC 5). So now 2 cards over budget but done and happy. Then picked up some other nice cards and again small collection and nice for me.

Then before I knew it I was addicted and got some other cards ie Pinkerton Joe jackson. But I really wanted a Redsox Ruth Card. So I sold my all my Jackson’s (regret selling the Pinkerton Joe jackson) and my 1921 Ruth and some stocks and bought the Ruth Rookie card I have now.

From their I tried staying focused on my goal of a Ruth Card of every year if possible and every joe jackson card I could get if possible.

So those are and always will be my priorities

But along the way I want to try and get rare cards of some of the big stars from the early days.

Like everyone I sometimes see something I like but not in my focus area and buy it then need to flip it to get back on track. Sometimes that causes me to miss cards.

I budget myself to approx 2 cards a year but this year so many auctions with so many cards I want and that I have not seen in years and/or may never see again for a long time.

So I blew it the last 90 days or so and bought to many cards but no regrets all within my target and focus of my collection

Until the next auction with the next card I want. But now I will probably have to sell something to buy something or trade something (which is tough because I get attached to my cards) and it is tough because I feel like if I sell a card then it takes away or diminishes my collection.

My card count 9 Joe jackson, 4 Ruth, 2 Wagner, 1 Cobb, and 1 Mathewson.

So what do I trade or sell for my next card is a tough call for me.

But that is the joy of collecting
Very unique Jeff! Don’t know if I could do what you’ve done but super cool.