View Single Post
Old 02-04-2012, 06:48 AM
Phil Garry

Default Pros vs. Cons of Collecting Pre-War Baseball Rookies

I think that this topic leaves a lot of room for debate and I expect that opinions will be very strong, especially on the "cons" side so let's get right into it.

Pros

1. Opportunity to collect any and as many players as you would like while also providing the opportunity to narrow it down to specific team, era, Hall of Famers or any other finite group that you choose.

2. Opportunity to learn about an extensive amount of players who you otherwise never heard of or knew anything about.

3. Opportunity to learn about a substantial number of vintage baseball issues that you otherwise never heard of or knew nothing about.

4. Opportunity to utilize and further develop your research and investigative skills in order to determine which item(s) represent Rookie(s) for each player that you have chosen to collect.

Cons

1. There is no clearly defined resource for which Pre-War items represent each player's Rookie appearance (OldCardboard's webpage is a very good guide for the HOF'ers)

2. Everyone's definition as to what constitutes a Rookie item can be different, i.e.- Major League vs. Minor League, etc. (Pre-Rookie or "PRookie" for short is a common term used to denote Minor League issues)

3. Everyone's definition as to what constitutes a "card" can be different, i.e.- where do postcards, cabinet cards, team issues, etc. fall (Notice the word "Card" never appears in this post up until now)

4. This collection could be impossible to ever complete, depending on how broad your scope is and your financial resources.

I'm sure that you guys and gals can think of many more pros and cons in compiling this type of collection and I would love to hear some of them.

Last edited by bcbgcbrcb; 02-04-2012 at 06:56 AM.