View Single Post
Old 10-14-2022, 09:10 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Red Flag to me.
I tend to think this is a wrap job.
Although they were the first cards that I ever collected seriously, I’ve never seen them mixed series.

OK, I probably have more of these cards now that any sane person (32 full sets and 47 partial sets, plus thousands more dupes) and while I did buy a lot of them as a 9 year old, truth is we only had a couple stores that sold them. In my hometown I never saw any 1971 cello boxes at all. But I do recall being able to buy the 1970 cards a year later than they were issued. So the shopkeeper was likely just selling old stock, but I remember the cello boxes of 1970 being in the store at the same time we all were buying wax packs of 1971. Cards were 10 cents for a wax pack and often that was all the money a young boy could scrape up.

I never saw a 1971 cello but that does not mean much. I do remember when it finally occurred to us that some wax packs had different cards in them after weeks/ months of getting doubles. We weren’t smart enough to realize that Topps sold their cards in series. But the next spring/summer we all figured it out while collecting the baseball cards. We almost stopped buying because we kept getting the same cards…until a fresh box would come out and it was terrific fun to see new players!!
That was my first foray into collecting and here I am 50+ years later still doing it!

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.

Last edited by familytoad; 10-14-2022 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Add dupes