View Single Post
Old 04-09-2020, 10:28 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Quote:
Originally Posted by droid714 View Post
As most Salada collectors have probably noticed, the first 180 coins are made up of 10 coins for each of the 18 existing teams. After the NL expanded by two teams in 1962, Salada issued an additional 20 coins, again 10 for each of the new expansion teams.

The original 180 coins contains some pose variations and color variations, such as red or white buttons or light or dark blue piping. Also, some of the players pictured in the original 180 retired, changed teams or positions.

When Salada printed the new coins for the two expansion teams, they also took the opportunity to correct the colors and the team and position changes. In the price guides, these variations are designated "A" or "B" and in a couple of instances even "C". The also added an additional 21 coins not included in the original issue.

What you may not have noticed is that the 10 coins that comprise each team consist of one player for each of the eight position players and two pitchers. After the later printing that included the corrections and the new cards, each team still ended up with one coin for each of the eight position players and two pitchers.

My question is do the "A" and "B" designations actually represent the order they were printed in, or were they just assigned at random?

For example, 37A Dick Brown Dark Blue Piping vs. 37B Dic Brown Light Blue Piping. Was the dark blue piping actually printed first before the light blue piping?

More to come.
Hi John:

I will be able to answer your questions in much more detail later. I am taking care of a sick wife currently (nothing life threatening) and can't take the time to dig out all my Salada things.

I have two different 180 coin uncut sheets. One with the 21 coins that were dropped and the other with the "new" 21 coins

What people do not realize is that there were at least three different printings and if you count the printing for the "new" teams the Mets and Colts that were printed on their own sheets I guess you could say four printings.

If you read the description in the SCD Guide it says something at the end about a select few coins that are to rare to put values on. A couple of them did get into the checklist thanks to Bob Lemke when I alerted them to him years ago.

These are coins from an early test printing. The four "name" rare coins Brandt Orioles, Williams name on the right, Bailey "c" level with ear, and Killebrew name horizontal are all part of this early test printing. However there are other coins with difference that only a select few of advanced Salada coin collectors know about

Now, to answer your question, Whoever first designated A's and B's did not get them all correct. The team changes, should be easy to know which came first just by knowing which team he was on first.

But the same can not be said about the rare Bailey "C" level with ear. This was given a 'C" designation because this variation was not discovered until about 30 years later when I reported it to Lemke. Because A and B were taken he made it a C while in actuality he was in the early test printing thus he should have been a A.

They got it right with #48 Williams but not with #53 Brandt. All the Angels red buttons should be A's as I believe they are as they all show up in the 180 sheet with the 21 dropped coins. BTW, none of the rare coins show up on the first 180 sheet I have with the 21 dropped coins which proves the early test printing

I have inter office memo's about some of the changes. For example when Ashburn was dropped he was replaced by Bob Will. These changes did not all happen at once as the dates on the memos show.

Enough for now ( probably more than you wanted to know!!) I'll try to post photos of the two uncut sheets and if really interested you should be able to see on the sheets for example which Dick Brown was on the first sheet and which version was on the second.

But the designations of A&B are certainly not all correct.