View Single Post
Old 11-15-2021, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4reals View Post
ZW, I had never heard this before. This would be another great box the check when ensuring a card isn’t fake before purchasing. I own a complete DS set and would love to cross reference my examples with this point. Do you happen to have a list of cards in the set that should have an asterisk next to the copyright that you can share either publicly or privately?
-4R

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
4Reals,

Production being made in one print run early on in the print run is just educated speculation on my part. There are a number of pieces of information that came out from earlier research including the "rush" to print and distribute the set before Operation Desert Shield ended (lasted 40+ days), Topps understanding the difficulty in shipping/distributing overseas, most of the product going to certain areas of the military, and a large # of the unopened packs that were never distributed and subsequently returned to one facility. All of this suggests a bunch of cards were printed at one time and then "rushed" overseas.

I tried verifying with the Topps marketing people, their PR firm at the time that was publicizing the set, the estate of the Topps exec in charge of the initial set design and production and others associated with the set. There are just a lot of unknowns.

We have discussed the basics about the set and which variations were part of the set and which ones weren't (DS set is not known to have any legit print variations - but this not certain either)...and the same issue with the glowback variations.

Let me see what I can dig up.

Z