View Single Post
Old 07-30-2007, 06:11 PM
Administrator

Default HOF Veterans Committee Procedure Changed Significantly

Posted By: Paul

The HOF Veterans Committee procedure has changed significantly. I can't tell you who will be elected, but under the new procedure it's a good bet that someone will. Here's a link to an article on it.

http://www.bizofbaseball.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1387&Itemid=42

There is a similar article on the HOF website.

The articles are a little confusing. But from what I can tell there are now four procedures.

(1) For players whose careers began in 1943 or later, the Veterans Committee (the same committee that exists today) will somehow "pare down" a list of 20-25 candidates selected by a historical committee to a list of 10. The same Veterans Committee will then vote from among the 10. (That's the confusing part to me.)

(2) For players whose careers began before 1942, their fate will be decided by a committee of six. That sounds very reminiscent of the old system, where six old guys got together and voted in their friends. The difference is: this committee meets only once every five years. Also, few candidates that old will have living friends.

(3) For managers and umpires, it is the old system. A group of 12 (I think it's 12) meet in person and decide who to vote for.

(4) For executives, they haven't decided yet.

It's not clear to me if Negro Leaguers are eligible under any of these systems.

Votes under systems (1) and (3) will be held in alternate years, so that some election is held every year.