View Single Post
Old 10-03-2022, 12:18 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

What happened to Bonds is irrelevant; it is the same faulty logic as saying that because I was hazed when pledging a frat, my kid has to accept being hazed too. Each scenario should be judged on its merits. That said, the teams playing a hot player's team have the right to employ whatever strategies they like. If they are playing percentages, walking Judge as a matter of course makes no sense. Bill James ran a scenario with what would happen if teams just walked Babe Ruth every time at bat and the results were far worse for the opponent than pitching to him. The other players on MLB teams aren't exactly dweebs, and putting a man on base every time the #3 spot bats causes far more problems than it is worth. Also, if they feel Judge is pressing, the smart way to work him is off the plate. Worst case, he walks. Best case, he chases bad pitches and negates his own power by hitting bad balls or striking out within the extra-large strike zone he has created. Now, you could not do that with Yogi Berra. He feasted on pitches out of the zone.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 10-03-2022 at 12:23 PM.