View Single Post
Old 08-21-2016, 02:00 PM
Nick Barnes

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
One a sacred bunt, the hitter is deliberately giving himself up to advance the runner. On a sacred fly, the batter is trying for a hit, but is not penalized for making an out if the runner scores. In my opinion, the hitter shouldn't be penalized for the sacred bunt, but should for the hit.

I agree that war is the most overrated stat. It is random, fwar and bwar are calculated differently and the formula for bwar was completely changed a couple years ago. For comparing players at different positions, it is completely worthless.
no it isn't, it's the single best thing we have to compare across position and generation. It isn't perfect, but if perfection is your requirement for a good stat 99% of all baseball stats are worthless.

It's a formula, even if you aren't a fan of the defensive part of it (and I can see the argument for that) every single player is run through the same formula so the ratios are at least close. (and that's the purpose of WAR, it's there to give a quick thumbnail number to compare. It's not like there is a major difference between a 5WAR season and a 4.8 WAR season, they are pretty much even)

Now some people may USE WAR in a wrong manner, but the number itself does exactly what it's designed to do. It's still far better than something like batting avg which tells us pretty much nothing.