View Single Post
Old 06-23-2021, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dc1917 View Post
Hello, all. I'm a new joiner and have loved reading through all the posts - highly informative!

I picked up the attached ND pennant this past weekend - believed to be from their first Championship in 1924.

Two questions:
1) Has anyone seen any other examples of this pennant or other 1924 ND championship pennants?

2) Any way to confirm 1924 on this one (i.e., rule out 1929/1930 championships)? Pennant is from Chicago Pennant Co at 41" long (w/out tassels) and 14" wide.
Dc1917: HO-LY-SHeeeeeeeeeeet!

Never seen that pennant before. And, yes, I believe there's good evidence this was made to commemorate the '24 team--not the '29 or '30 National Championship winning teams ... or the '43, '46, '47 or '49 teams; or the '66, '73, or '77 champs. Or the '88 team. Definitely not any of these teams.

Lots of championships = lots of confusion. That's the problem with winning all the time, right?

Seriously, it's from 1924. We know because the label used (label #6, on my BLOG) was only in use for a limited window: roughly 1924-27. Chipen'co switched to a whole new label at the end of the 1920s, so we can say with confidence this isn't from that era. See: https://pennantfever.weebly.com/blog...ago-pennant-co

I wondered when the term "National Champions" first came into vogue; and whether it was commonly in use by the mid-1920s. It was! In fact, there's one other Notre Dame pennant, that I know of, that features the term and the year 1924 on it. I've never actually seen it, so who knows if any exist today, but I do believe it was made. You can read all about it, and my attempt to reproduce it, here: https://pennantfever.weebly.com/blog...ago-pennant-co

Thanks for sharing, and welcome to the thread!