Thread: Babe Ruth $$$
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2021, 06:48 AM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
To anyone who's thinking about how to acquire their first Babe, my opinion and advice is to buy anything you can afford when you can afford it. You will not regret extending yourself when you did.

Case and point, I bought this WWG for $500 when I was in grad school. I used my own loan money to do it and it meant not eating as much as I would have liked to. Do I regret it? No!

I bought my Kashin at the start of the pandemic. I wasn't exactly thrilled about paying $1,800 for it. But, uh, another win I think:

You are quite correct. You will not regret it. I bought my 1933 Goudey Ruth card (see OP this thread) and my Ruth signed ball (also signed by Gehrig and Cobb) both for $800 in 1988 upon completion of weather forecasting school at Chanute AFB Illinois and receiving my $20K reenlistment bonus (Air Force and Navy go to the same weather schools even now). Also bought a Ford Mustang that I put 326,000 miles on from Rantoul Ford. I thought the money paid for both was crazy, and the only way I could have afforded such high-end baseball stuff was because I had reenlistment money. But look what has happened over time. Usually my luck is the Midas Touch in reverse, whatever I touch turns to crap, not gold. I just gave away, literally, all my 1988 to 1993 cards. I did, however, hang on to a Stadium Club Jeter RC and a few others.