View Single Post
Old 07-20-2013, 03:01 PM
Christopher Cavalier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean1125 View Post
I think this makes a pretty solid statement for the card.
I found this to be a very interesting thread. When the thread began, empirically speaking, here were the final bid estimates of the people on this board:

48K, 57K, 64K (two people), 69K, 72K, 75K, 76K, 80K, 90K, 95K, 100+K, 101K and, of course, two very nice endorsements that it "won't meet reserve."

Then, after the card sells for $120K, the comment is made that it is a pretty strong statement about the card.

While this was indeed a high-end card, I think people may be overlooking the fact that a lot of the credit for reaching that level should go to the Goldin Auctions people, especially Ken. Specifically:

1) The fact that this same card sold for $120,000 versus $80,000 only a year ago is no small feat.

2) I think the hobby took comfort in the fact that Goldin only shows true, un-edited and non-photoshopped scans of trading cards. As shown on this thread, feel free to look at the scans of the card we sold compared to last time the same card was presented to the hobby.

3) I believe the fact that Ken is pretty much the biggest promoter in the industry, the fact that the card was on TV, the image of the card was on a banner ad on every major hobby website, in every ad, including many non-hobby ads that are read by wall street types, and in emails to over 200,000 people were key variables to it selling at that the price it did.

Please understand I do realize that many on this board have long-term alliances with certain auction houses and Goldin Auctions is one of the newer houses on the block. However, at this point, if you have a high value item that can use national exposure and you want to get bids from non-hobby players, I believe you are possibly shooting yourself in the foot by not consigning to Goldin. Further, if you are beginning to realize that Goldin Auctions will likely get you the most money for your item but you don't want anyone to know you consigned with us, please feel free to contact me at Chris@goldinauctions.com and you can consign to us in secret.

Last edited by BruceWayne; 07-21-2013 at 02:17 PM.