View Single Post
Old 07-17-2013, 11:01 AM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by auggiedoggy View Post
Well it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck. Are you sure its not a duck?
I'm not sure, but in my opinion the glossy feel to the card indicates that it was produced separately from the T206 set. Obviously the same Cobb/Red plate was used. But it was also used for Coupon cigarettes, and those are not T206s. It was also used for Red Cross and those aren't either.
There seems to be some dispute as to when the Cobb backs were produced. If they were produced in 1910, as seems to be indicated by an ad in a Georgia newspaper, then they could be part of the set. If they were distributed in Cobb tobacco tins that would likely date them to 1912, which would be too late to be T206s.
As far as I can tell, the best argument in favor of including them in the set is that Jefferson Burdick put them there back in the '30s.
There is no definitive proof either way, so reach your own conclusion.
By the way, there are members on this board who know 10x as much as me on this subject, so maybe they can weigh in on the matter, and correct me if I got this wrong.

Last edited by Sean; 07-20-2013 at 03:22 PM.