View Single Post
Old 08-28-2021, 04:48 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
As many of you know, for many years I have collected tickets to no-hitters and perfect games.
Currently I have tickets to about 230 different no-hit games out of the 313 that have been pitched in ML history.
166 of these tickets are signed by the pitcher that threw the no-hitter.
FYI, I hope to write a book on no-hitters when I retire...
Additionally, I intend to put an unusual spin on the great books that have already been written on the topic.

The elusive tickets that I am still looking for are, without a doubt, "black swans" and locating them can prove to be quite a collecting challenge.
Literally like finding a needle in a haystack. A long slog, but I really love it!

I have determined, for a variety of reasons, that many would never likely be findable.
For that reason, I occasionally look for a suitable "filler" for my collection, especially if the game/games that it covers are particularly historic and noteworthy.
Although I am late with this post, I'm excited to have found a beautiful addition to my collection at The National in Chicago a few weeks ago.
This pickup fits this description...

Background:
In the history of baseball, only 3 times have no-hitters been pitched on consecutive days in the same ballpark. These 3 no-hit duets are:

Gaylord Perry (Sept. 17th, 1968) and Ray Washburn (Sept. 18, 1968) @ SF
Jim Maloney (April 30, 1969) and Jim Wilson (April 1, 1969) @ Cincinnati

The 3rd time this occured was much earlier in 1917 @ StL. Browns
Ernie Koob (May 5, 1917) and Bob Groom (May 6th, 1917). Also of interest is that both games were pitched against a very good opponent the CWS, with the losing pitchers both times being excellent pitchers in their own right.
In fact, both LP's Eddie Cicotte and Joe Benz each pitched their own no-hitter in 1917 and 1914, respectively.

At The National I found this beautiful 1917 StL Browns Annual Pass that is signed by Browns owner Neal Ball.
Neal Ball's autograph in of itself is quite rare as he had a death date of 1933.

Anyway, here it is:
Wow Scott, great pickup. I personally don't consider that a filler by any definition. Also looking forward to that book of yours...I hope to get an autographed copy. LOL
1955 Dodger Autographs...40/43
1934 Gas House Gang Autographs...Complete
1969 Cubs Autographs...Black Cat ticket plus 30/50
1960 Pirates autographs...Complete
1961 Yankees autographs...Complete
1971-1975 A's Playoff/WS roster autos...Complete