View Single Post
Old 08-25-2019, 10:48 PM
M@rk Lu7z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Eisenbath View Post
I've been reading many of the forum posts for several months and enjoying them immensely. The knowledge contained among this group's members is stunning, and I can't describe how much I've learned. Kudos to all.

Quck(ish) background: I began collecting by buying packs of Topps as an 8-year-old in 1969. In 1971, I discovered ads near the back of The Sporting News selling vintage cards and bought many from various sets amazed that a 10-year-old kid could affordably own something more than 60 years old or of players I only knew about because of The Baseball Encyclopedia. I dabbled at really vintage stuff while working on completing Topps sets. I helped organize the first card shows in St. Louis in the mid-1970s and was a subscriber of Sports Collectors Digest from the very beginning (along with other newsletters that came and went). I ended up with complete sets from 1964-1985 before I took a long hiatus (raising kids and working too much). I returned in earnest a few years ago and now am focusing on The Monster (I have about 35), 1955-63 and upgrading some 1970s Topps (replacing those I have that are miscuts).

I have met some amazing people through collecting -- Rick Salamon, Jim Hickerson, Fred Roenig, Ken Kellar, the legendary Buck Barker -- who all treated me very well when I was just a kid hanging out with adults passionate about the hobby. I hope to meet many more such folks.

As a footnote: I realized a childhood dream when in 1984 I became the youngest writer at the St. Louis Post-Dispatch and worked there until health forced me to leave in 2002. I covered high school sports, St. Louis University men's basketball and then the Cardinals/MLB for 10 years. I was the primary chronicler of everything McGwire in 1998-99.

And there is this: https://www.amazon.com/Cardinals-Enc...s=books&sr=1-2

I am honored to be a member of this group.
Greetings Mike! I, too, got started on vintage at a very young age buying cards through the Sporting News: I remember sending my hard-won dollars to the Card Collectors' Company, Jack Smalling, etc. to get T206's of famous players. Since those early days, you've had an amazing baseball life! You are a genuine authority on the Redbirds. I look forward to reading your posts.