View Single Post
Old 06-29-2004, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Default What to expect at the national

Posted By: Mike (18colt)

After waiting 15 years for the National to return to the East Coast, I went to last year's National in Atlantic City (my first National). I went on the last day of the event and found some pleasant surprises.

Get there as soon as the show opens on the last day. The crowds are small, most of the large corporate tables and booths are void of activity, and you have room to walk (and it's quiet enough to hold a conversation). If you see something interesting, write down the dealer's name and location, but also ask what time the dealer is leaving (most leave early to catch flights, beat traffic, etc.). I found some great bargains that last day, and I still got to meet the hobby "heavyweights" (and see some great vintage cards). You may even come across a vintage card that you weren't expecting to have an interest in, and that may start a collection you hadn't considered before (for me, it was a bargain E-96 of Karger in low, low, low grade for $5 -- I've added E-96 to my list of collecting interests as a result).

Another tip -- before you go, have a T-shirt made up with a vintage card pictured on the front. Some dealers don't take younger collectors seriously, but advertising what you collect might catch a dealer's eye, and you won't be ignored. I was in your shoes before, and I know it's no fun to not be taken seriously. Try to be specific as to what you want, too. For example, if you're looking for a card of Ty Cobb, because you don't have one and you want one, ask if the dealer has a T-206, or has an E-95, or has a card from his playing days and not a 1960 Fleer All-Time Greats card. If the dealer thinks you have knowledge, you will seem like a more credible buyer in his/her eyes, and you won't be ignored.

Bottom line -- just try to have fun. I didn't spend a lot of money, but I enjoyed the experience. Good luck.