Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
griffey
edgar martinez
bonds
clemens
piazza
mussina
raines

i tend to go with the best players in the era...so bonds and clemens get in from the steroids guys....sosa and mcgwire don't. bonds not in is a bigger injustice than joe jax or pete rose. no ortiz or bagwell for juice.

Not a Sosa guy.. but he was one of the biggest offensive threats of that era. 600+ home runs, 1600+ RBI's, 1400+ runs... Pretty impressive.

As far as McGwire I think a lot of people see him as a one dimensional Dave Kingman type who only hit homers. But if you look at his stats later in his career you see that he becomes a much better hitter. Look at the how OBP and walk totals improve and he starts to hit for much better average other than the seasons with major injuries. I also think he was a pretty decent defensive player for a guy his size. Lets not forget he was a 12 time all-star in his 16 year career.

I am also of the opinion that the McGwire/Sosa homerun chase brought a lot of fans back to the game and I don't think that is something that should be over looked. Before that Summer a lot of fans had become disenchanted with the game after all the labour strife & cancelling of the World Series.