View Single Post
Old 07-15-2022, 10:23 AM
Dave

Here's another 2009 Lewis Hamilton issue I dug up. Peter, I don't think you'll like this one any better then the other 2009 issues, but you might find it at a much more reasonable price.

I personally like it better then the SI issue, but not as much as the Top Trumps issue.

Also has the earliest card I've found of Sebastian Vettel (4 titles, though no one seems to care quite yet), though there's probably something a little earlier out there on him.

German "Formel 1" issue. These exist with different backs such as the "Quartett" issue shown here. Also "Top Ass" and a couple other versions I've found.

These type German issues can be complicated to date as they were issued in toy stores from year to year, with many of the same pictures, but with different number variations.

A lot of sellers date them by the season listed on the cards, though that's a very faulty method to do so. If you have a full set, you basically go, the last season mentioned in the set + 1, for the date of issue.

You can differentiate the year issued based on the numbers listed on certain cards. In the 2009 set from what I can tell, the Lewis Hamilton is always numbered "A2", and the Vettel is always numbered "F4".

Example: I don't have one on hand, but if the set was re-issued again in 2010, you might see a similar card of Hamilton listed as "Saison 2008", but it will have a different number in the upper left corner.

Some drivers and cars will be cycled in and out of sets, depending of the most recent season of drivers.

All very complicated, and it probably turns a lot of collectors off to them, but I tend to love these little complicated Formula 1 game sets.